<p>J.D. Tomlinson tees off during Day 2 of the SunTrust Gator Invitational on Feb. 16 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course.</p>

J.D. Tomlinson tees off during Day 2 of the SunTrust Gator Invitational on Feb. 16 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course.

Although Florida did not qualify as a team for the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship for the first time in 13 years, J.D. Tomlinson has continued on in the postseason as an individual.

Tomlinson, who was placed in the 2014 East Regional at Auburn University Club, shot 75 (+3) to open the first of three rounds on Thursday. He finished the day with the second-best score out of the five individuals competing.

The junior bogeyed two times on the front and back nine and made a birdie on the 12th hole to tie for 28th place in the regional overall.

Marco Iten of Austin Peay leads the individual results after shooting 71 (-1). The individual with the lowest score from each of the six regional sites will advance to the NCAA Championship in Hutchinson, Kan.

“J.D. drove the ball extremely well, but other than that he didn’t have his good stuff with his irons today,” coach Buddy Alexander said in a release. “He didn’t chip particularly well. He putted well, but he missed a couple of short ones, which is always a little disappointing.”

This is Tomlinson’s third-straight year of competing in the NCAA Regionals. He leads Florida with a 72.36 stroke average, has a 3.82 differential and shot 14 rounds at or under-par this season.

“If [Tomlinson] can drive the ball the way he did [Thursday] the next two days, I think he has a chance to rebound and have a good tournament,” said Alexander.

Follow Layne Weitzel on Twitter @laynejweitzel