UF’s newly selected presidential search committee has begun the process of finding UF’s next president.

In 2012, the university went through a research process to find a set of qualifications to use to find UF’s twelfth president. The search process was derailed when Gov. Rick Scott asked UF President Bernie Machen to remain at UF.

With Machen’s contract set to end in December, the search is back on and the qualifications must be updated. At a public meeting held Friday, the presidential search subcommittee of qualification and criteria made changes related to comments sent to the committee.

“The Board of Trustees had requested additional input to determine if those qualifications developed two years ago adequately reflected the University of Florida’s designation as the state’s foremost preeminent university,” said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes.

The subcommittee meeting was one of the first steps taken by the new presidential search committee, announced on May 1.

In an email sent to “UF family and friends,” committee chairman C. David Brown II announced the 18-member panel, which includes representatives from the UF Board of Trustees, faculty, administration, alumni, donors and a student representative.

“Recruiting an exceptionally well-qualified leader to advance UF’s preeminence goals and future is particularly important work in light of the university’s current opportunities,” Brown wrote.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 5/13/2014 under the headline "UF talks presidental search criteria"]