<p>Sofie Oyen returns a ball during Florida’s 7-0 win against Florida State on Feb. 18 at the Ring Tennis Complex.</p>

Sofie Oyen returns a ball during Florida’s 7-0 win against Florida State on Feb. 18 at the Ring Tennis Complex.

Unlike many of Florida’s previous tennis teams, this season had no highly acclaimed All-Americans and no trophies to hoist at the end of May.

But also unlike previous years, the future never looked more promising.

Florida’s three seniors — Alexandra Cercone, Sofie Oyen and Olivia Janowicz — are rightly credited with a majority of this season’s success. The trio led the Gators to a 23-6 season and went undefeated on their home courts at the Ring Tennis Complex.

But the largest takeaway from this past season is not Florida’s oldest players, but the youngest.

And their numbers speak volumes.

Kourtney Keegan developed into one of the nation’s brightest and youngest doubles players, finishing with a team-high 32 doubles wins — nine victories ahead of second-place Janowicz.

Belinda Woolcock also proved her worth in doubles, pairing with senior Oyen and advancing to the Round of 16 in the NCAA Doubles Championships.

And lastly, despite limited playing time, Stefani Stojic managed to end the season with a perfect 8-0 record in dual match singles.

Does this give hope to next season, when Florida will be without graduating seniors Janowicz, Cercone and Oyen?

“Absolutely,” coach Roland Thornqvist said after UF’s loss to UCLA in the NCAA semifinals on May 19. “It was clearly a learning thing for (the freshmen), even for Brianna (Morgan). Brianna played (Court) 4 last year when we were here and today she was on the show court.”

Aside from Keegan’s development in doubles, Morgan’s jump up to Court 1 in singles could prove to be a big determinant to Florida’s success next season. She will inherit the leadership reins from UF’s senior trio as she becomes the team’s oldest player.

Thornqvist thinks the experience the sophomore gained this season, while winning 29 of her 37 singles matches, will come in handy.

Florida’s coach also hasn’t shied away from praising Morgan’s skill, athleticism and poise throughout the season.

“Look, when she trains for an extended period of time, she could be one of the top 3 or 4 players in the country, no question about it,” Thornqvist said. “Brianna has beaten the best players in America … so I know it’s in there.”

The sophomore backed up her coach’s words when she faced Georgia’s Lauren Herring in the NCAA quarterfinals, beating the nation’s No. 6 singles player on her own court.

Morgan insists that it doesn’t matter where she plays, only how she plays — and that’s why she’s been so successful.

“I really haven’t found any differences,” Morgan said. “I try to do the same thing I do whether I’m playing on Court 2, 1, whatever. Just try and stick to the same thing.”

The Gators hope the same thing will be good enough next year, as they will undoubtedly rely on Morgan and its three rising sophomores to build on the success of this past season.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @ibcohen5