Senate approves replacement senators, passes honorary plaque bill

Everything on the agenda was approved unanimously as a block during Tuesday night’s Student Senate meeting.

All replacement senators and liaisons were approved, with the exception of freshman Summer C replacement Piya Saengfah, who was ineligible for the seat.

SB 2014-1040 Sandy Vernon Act, a bill meant to erect a plaque to honor the past Student Government office manager, also passed.

“This award is given in honor of the late Sandy Vernon in recognition of her more than 30 years of devoted service to the University of Florida as the Student Government Office Manager and as a mentor and friend to countless University of Florida students,” the bill read.

The bill was sponsored by Judiciary Chairman Bronco Vuskovich, who led the senators in a legislative writing session.

"As a senator, your main job is to write legislation," he said.

Sen. Leah Miller, the allocation committee chair, encouraged senators to “like” the allocations Facebook page. The Facebook page will be used to highlight events and congratulate groups that receive funding from Student Government.

"We will now be using it to reach out and be more of a presence on social media,” she said.