Summer Jam offers locals musical-festival feel without leaving town

While national music festivals attract people from across the world, their high price tags often prevent college students from attending. Luckily for Gainesville, a local alternative has emerged to satiate the music lover’s hunger for live music.

The fourth annual Summer Jam, organized by Glory Days & High Tides Presents and billed as a midsummer music festival, begins tonight and ends in the early Sunday morning. The festival is set to take place at High Dive and runs from 7 p.m. until 2 a.m.

The festival enlists the likes of Captain Lovely, III Bones, The Swamp Cats, and more on Friday and D.P., 9th Ring, and more on Saturday. Running concurrently will be the Freaky Friday Dance Party on Friday at the Deck, hosted by DJ P Funk and free of cover charge. DJ ZL will man the Deck on Saturday night.

The festival originally began as a closing party for Common Grounds, a now-defunct music venue. Since the bar’s closure in 2011, the festival has created its own identity and now promises to showcase some of the best local music talent in Gainesville.

In addition to the live music, food truck vendors will be on-site with a variety of great eats. The Pelican Brothers food truck will be open all weekend, with the Off The Griddle food truck present on Friday and the Go Go Stuff Yourself food truck present on Saturday, according to the Facebook event page.

Tickets are still available, with the weekend pass priced at $10 and single-day tickets priced at $7. Tickets can be purchased online at ticketweb.com or in-person at High Dive or Hear Again Music.