When Life Gives You Lemons: 14 life lessons that are best taught by your mother

<p>"<span><a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/curiosdusteye/6031018124/in/photolist-abWxz7-24ny7-tuA1-4Z9GQG-28GZB-3SJhz-28Hvw-9riKur-pybJ-5GoXR-28Hva-28HxQ-28H1J-28H1U-9LKCC4-5Ukvh3-28HuP-6o549e-bhCUWp-L6ain-cxDi9d-3eMd7-28GGz-28GJn-28GDB-78Jy1a-9xm1JD-28GGJ-28GEs-28Hv3-28Hwn-28Hxx-28HvY-78JxYK-nrqzgH-9fNRrX-5Bvkyb-aW6JcD-bWLatc-8oEeNt-6vsUSL-t3zG2-5Pwivr-4NfzQr-j9sWtj-78JxRT-JEBU-5RA5AP-byhAx7-bxMj4R/" target="_blank">Alike</a>" by <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/curiosdusteye/" target="_blank">Callum Baker</a>, used under <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/" target="_blank">CC BY-NC-SA 2.0</a> &nbsp;</span></p>

"Alike" by Callum Baker, used under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0  

Through as much of my childhood as I can remember, I had a friend — a best friend — that was attached to my hip at all times. I can recall very few memories prior to high school that didn’t involve the two of us, junk food, and staying up until 6 a.m. When high school came around, we went to different schools. We spent less time together, called each other a little less frequently, and began to move in separate directions. 

My high school years, much like many of yours, were spent deciding who was a real friend and who wasn’t, who would be there for you at the day’s end and who was starting the rumor about you sleeping with someone’s boyfriend. Finding true friends was no easy task. Sure, some of my high school friends still remain in my life, but only one friend has been there since the beginning. Only one friend has watched me fall, helped me back up, and never given up on me through the years.

My mother is a blessing and has taught me many valuable life lessons that I couldn’t have learned elsewhere. She has shown me what it means to have a “real” best friend. The child/mother dynamic is forever-changing through your 20’s, but the consistency of a mother’s friendship never fails. 

These are a few of the lessons that can only be taught by a mother.

1) Even though your broken hearts tell you otherwise, love really can be unconditional.

2) Trust your gut instinct, it’s usually right (and the accuracy of a mother’s instincts is incomparable).

3) Pearls are an essential part of every girl’s wardrobe.

4) You should always lend a voice to those who have none (because otherwise all of those PTA meetings would have been useless, right?).

5) No one teaches you about dealing with your middle school crush quite like a mother. Be yourself and the right people will love you for it.

6) Your loved ones will offer advice with your best interests in mind and, sometimes, it’s best to take it. Because your mom said so, that’s why.

7) Stop washing towels with your clothes. And don’t be mad when your white shorts turn pink because you didn’t separate colors.

8) Family is everything.

9) Through all of life’s inconsistencies, an education is always beneficial.

10) Confidence is key (and so is keeping enough in savings for a salon trip to correct the at-home dye job).

11) Finding a bra that actually fits can change self-doubt into self-assurance.

12) Success is a relative term. And you define it. Never allow the expectations of others to cause you to feel inferior.

13) Dressing appropriately is a relative term, too. But don’t be caught dead in that God-awful multi-colored dress you own.

14) Wake up everyday thankful for all that you have. 

Even when we get tattoos our mothers hate, date boys when they don’t offer their approval, or make countless decisions with which they don’t agree, we should never underestimate the unconditional nature of our mother’s love.

Call your mom today. Thank her for the lessons she has taught you and tell her that your love is unconditional, too.