Best-selling author Rebecca Donovan is promoting her new book, “What If,” using moments captured on UF’s campus.

Video production is led by two recent UF graduates, Brooks Allen, 24, and Luke McGurrin, 23. Allen said they will be on the Plaza of the Americas from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday to find students.

Donovan said these video confessions are about students’ “what if” moments. It is a way for people to reflect on choices they have made and how it altered the course of their lives.

They will be compiled to create 60-second episodes released daily starting Sept. 2 to promote the launch of her book. Her e-book will be released Sept. 16. 

She said her book “What If” is about four friends who grew up together and went their separate ways after high school.

She said she hopes her project creates a movement of people being aware of the type of power they have over their lives.

“That is why we chose the University of Florida because you guys have that energy, that unique outlook to launch the whole movement in a way,” she said.

Catherine Ordoñez, 21-year-old UF public relations and English senior, said she feels students may have a lot to say about their “what if” moments. 

She said her confession would be, “What if I didn’t apply for the Cicerones, then I would have never found my niche on campus.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 7/17/2014 under the headline "Author asks students ‘What If?’"]