For Your Entertainment: Lana Del Rey continues dark theme for new album

Lana Del Rey is a conundrum.

She's not afraid to bare her soul to the world through music, but she isn't overly expressive in the spotlight. She's a free spirit and a mystery at the same time. 

The first time I heard "Summertime Sadness," not only did I like the rhythm, I understood the meaning of the song- or at least my interpretation of it. I think there's a darkness in everyone and Lana Del Rey knows how to tune into it. Her songs have a nostalgic 1960's America feel about them that had my mind traveling back in time like I was in (spoiler alert) the new X-men movie. And to my surprise, I wasn't the only one indulging in her soulful sound. According to my Twitter feed, miss Del Rey has become quite popular.  

Like other artists, Del Rey sings about love, life, and most often, difficult relationships. These are things we all experience. What sets Lana's songs apart is how she highlights the darker themes of life. For example, even when she's singing about summertime, there is an underlying sense of sadness involved. It had me wondering what she’s experienced in life. If you take the time to listen to the lyrics of her songs, you'll find a pattern of tragedy and you'll also get a glimpse of her past. I recently did exactly this for Lana's new album: Ultraviolence.

On her latest album, Lana continues her nostalgic theme with songs written in the same dark tone. "West Coast" is my summer anthem this year. Here are a few other notable songs from the album with some of their most interesting lyrics. 

"Cruel World"

Lyrics: "Got your Bible, got your gun, and you like to party and have fun." 

"Ultraviolence"

Lyrics: "He used to call me DN, that stood for deadly nightshade, cause I was filled with poison, but blessed with beauty and rage." 

"Shades Of Cool"

Lyrics: "But I can't fix him, can't make him better, and I can't do nothing about this strange weather"

"Money Power Glory"

Lyrics: "The sun also rises, on those who fail to call. My life, it comprises of losses and wins and fails and falls." 

Overall, I think the influence of her music is different for everyone because it's up to his or her interpretation of it. Personally, I like to listen to her music when I'm stressed out and need to unwind. It makes me feel better knowing that someone else can relate to having a bad day or being in a difficult situation. Sometimes the best way to cheer yourself up is to indulge in your anger and sadness for a while. Lana Del Rey knows how to do that better than anyone.