For Your Entertainment: Primetime Emmy nominations

It's that time of year again. 

The Primetime Emmy nominations were recently announced and we've had the chance to see America's reactions. What wasn't surprising was the show with the leading amount of nominations: "Game of Thrones”. HBO's "Game of Thrones" led the Emmy nominations with 19 and FX's new series "Fargo" followed closely with 18 nominations.  The nominations, announced July 10, were opened with a speech about Netflix and the evolving platforms of television. This proved to be fitting because the Netflix original "Orange is the New Black" has been generating a lot of buzz lately and received 12 nominations of it's own. 

When it was time for Carson Daly and Mindy Kaling to read out the nominations this year, I wonder if Kaling knew she would be snubbed for her own show. Kaling’s show "The Mindy Project” has been successful, and as lead actress, writer, and creator of the show, she's put a lot of time and effort into it. Many people were disappointed that she didn’t get a nomination for best actress in a comedy series.  Another comedy series snub was Andy Samberg for his show "Brooklyn Nine-Nine”; despite its Golden Globe wins this year, it only received a best supporting actor nomination for the Emmy's. William H. Macy didn't receive a nomination for the dark Showtime comedy "Shameless," and AMC's "The Walking Dead," still popular in ratings, was once again left out of the mix. These snubs may have been disappointing, but the snub that viewers were most outraged over was Tatiana Maslany for BBC America's sci-fi hit "Orphan Black." One tweeter wrote, "Honestly, if you aren't outraged by [Tatiana Maslany's] Emmy snub, log out & (re) watch [Orphan Black] until you are." 

It's interesting to see how in these days, with social media like Twitter, we're able to read the audiences reactions over nomination snubs and surprises and we can see who they really love and hate to watch on TV. I wonder if this has any effect on the people that make the nominations. Maybe they’ll hear about these reactions and choose differently in the future because of it.  The Primetime Emmy Awards will air Monday August 25 at 8 p.m. 

To see the full list of nominations you can visit the Emmy website