For Your Entertainment: What’s new in Harry Potter

Three years ago the Harry Potter saga ended– or so we thought. It turns out that no matter how many times she says she’s finished with Harry’s story, JK Rowling still has a lot to tell us about the wizarding world. Here are some of the new things Potterheads can enjoy post-Deathly Hallows:

4. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

We know it as a standard Care of Magical Creatures book that Harry read in school. Rowling released copies of it in 2001 as a complement to the series, and now, “Fantastic Beasts” is being turned into a trilogy of films, with a screenplay penned by Rowling herself. The story follows the adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York’s secret community of witches and wizards 70 years before the first Potter book. The first movie is set for release Nov. 18, 2016, so we should be getting directing and casting news in a few months!

3. Quidditch World Cup

Yeah, okay, the Muggle World Cup just ended and everyone’s excited. But if you haven’t been on Pottermore in a while – that’s Rowling’s official Harry Potter site – you may have missed the commentary on the Quidditch World Cup by Daily Prophet Quidditch Correspondent Ginny Potter and Daily Prophet Gossip Columnist Rita Skeeter. Their commentary on the Bulgaria-Brazil match provides a little more insight into what the Potter family and their friends have been up to now that they’re all grown up.

2. New Short Story on Pottermore

No new Potter stories, she said. Nope, not happening. She’s done. But not really. Rowling shocked and delighted the world on July 8 when she dropped a brand new 1500 word Potter short story on Pottermore with no warning. The story is written as an article with Rita Skeeter’s voice, detailing the famous Dumbledore’s Army’s actions during their meet up at the Quidditch World Cup. This, plus the commentary previously released, offers a golden glimpse into a world fans thought they’d never see continued.

1. Diagon Alley

The crowning glory, of course, is the opening of the newest Harry Potter park at Universal Studios on July 8. Several thousand people showed up on opening day, with a five-hour line to get into the park and another five-hour line for the main attraction: a part rollercoaster, part motion simulator ride “Escape from Gringotts.” Whenever you finally make it in, be sure to grab some grub at The Leaky Cauldron wizard pub, try Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlor’s butterbeer flavored ice cream, and visit Knockturn Alley, Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes and other shops for amusing merchandise.  

The parks and stories are sure to keep fans entertained for quite a while. The Harry Potter World fervor last time lasted several years and is still going strong. This time, we have another wizard movie to look forward to. All aboard the Hogwarts Express – it’s time to jump right in again!