Swamp of Love: How to make your summer budget stretch

I would assume that most college students know the struggle of being broke. Between feeding ourselves and that dreaded monthly rent, we’re left over with hardly any money to have a social life (thank gosh for lady’s nights, am I right girls?). For some, this can put a damper on their dating life, but for others, it just means learning how to be creative. Luckily for you, I’m here to give you a few suggestions. 

For starters, we are lucky enough to have one of the most beautiful campuses in the south. After you take your date to dinner (if you plan well, you can hit up Taco Tuesday at Tijuana Flats for a real cheap meal), go on a walk around campus. The sun will be down, so you won’t be fighting the sun or the heat (truthfully you could be completely naked and you would still feel like you’re dying), and all of the lights will be on. This makes for an adorable, romantic scene that might get you a nice surprise at the end of the night (and I’m not talking about Hershey kisses). 

If you’re more of the adventurous type, take your date through one of the many trails throughout Alachua county! There are so many incredible sights to see; you may even find yourself face to face with an actual alligator. Grab your backpack, throw in a few bottles of water and a couple Cliff bars, and head out for a day full of fun. 

Finally, if you’re looking for both adventure and romance, you better prepare yourself for this one, go watch the sunrise at Payne’s Prairie. Check online when the sun is scheduled to rise, pick up your date the next morning, and go be the adventurous yet hopeless romantic that you are! Bonus points are involved if you bring a little morning snack along too. 

The summer can still be full of love even if your wallet is full of dust, just be creative and see where the wind, or trails, take you.