The Wandering Gator: For the love of gelato

Floating in a lagoon, Venice is famously shrouded in mystery and romance… and wonderful places to eat. Thousands parade down the narrow alleyways, looking for the perfect Venetian meal. 

Settling in to our apartment, we took a brief moment to ask our landlord to point out the certain places we must visit and see over the course of our stay. He made sure to circle one square on the map on the outskirts of the city. 

“Here is the best gelato in Venice.”

Taking his word to heart, we set off one afternoon after the rain stopped and clouds broke away, and came to GelatiNico. There were no crowds, assuming the rain had kept most tourists inside, and the gelateria faced a canal and the Terrace; the perfect place for people watching. 

Elderly Italian ladies walked their small dogs, while young men unloaded goods off a boat. Little kids skipped by, chasing pigeons. And it was, by far, the best gelato I’d yet to have in Italy- creamy and perfectly light.

This only goes to show that if you want to find the diamond in the rough, ask the locals first. The best places don’t necessarily sport a TripAdvisor sticker, nor can they be found in tourist books.