The Wandering Gator: Have license, will travel

Although I’ve been driving for over four years now, the thought of attempting another driving test in a foreign country was enough to fill me with dread. 

Add in to the equation driving on the opposite side of the car, the other side of the road and a multitude of different road rules and this was going to be one interesting ‘test’.  

I immediately thought back to my driving test in England. It was an ordeal that took me two attempts until I passed, with each one lasting over an hour. I studied up on all of the road rules, memorized maneuvers and was switching gears with ease. It wasn’t long before I found myself trapped in car parks and asking complete strangers to park my car for me.  

Thankfully the American driving test was a lot more easier to handle. Who know your driving skills could be tested in a supermarket car park? I managed to walk away with my very own Floridian license. Driving licenses look so much better with the words ‘Sunshine State’ on them. 

Whilst I’m still getting used to bizarre road rules (seriously, who decided to turn right on a red light?) at least I’m one step closer to completing that epic American road trip.