This Week in Social Justice: Alternative breaks

When I think of spring break at the University of Florida, I think of road trips, cruises, lots of sun and alcohol and little responsibility.

Not all students use their valued time off for leisure, however. Some students have taken to an alternative: Florida Alternative Breaks.

Florida Alternative breaks (FAB) is a student-started program under the Center for Leadership and Service at the University of Florida. 

The vision of FAB is to develop a community of life-long active citizens who are committed to positive, sustainable change.

One of the ways they incite that change is by offering service trips to students over breaks and long weekends. Each trip is centered on education, service and reflection.

Before students embark on a trip, they must first understand the social issues within the context of the community they plan to serve. Pre-trip meetings led by site leaders fulfill that requirement.

A trip can be expected to address issues such as environmental preservation, civil rights, migrant rights, HIV/AIDS and sexual education, children’s healthcare and many more worthy causes. 

The next trip available will take place on August 9-15. 

For more information on that trip, or on Florida Alternative breaks visit the FAB website.