Rabbi Adam Grossman has been working as the executive director and CEO of UF Hillel since July 7 and is now serving as the organization’s active rabbi.

Grossman, 38, took on the role of rabbi after former rabbi Gail Swedroe, the organization’s first female rabbi, accepted a job in Texas, according to her farewell statement.

Grossman said his mission as CEO and acting rabbi is to connect with students on campus and inspire them to find a home and purpose through the help of the organization.

Grossman, formerly the associate rabbi at the Temple Israel in Memphis, said he is working toward changing the way people view Hillel.

“For the last seven weeks we have done a lot of redesigning and reimagining on the indoor space and ultimately on how we can transmit ourselves to the greater community,” he said. “One of the things we’re really trying to do is be a partner — a partner with the greater community, a partner with the university, a partner with students.”

Allan Goldberg, UF Hillel Board of Directors president, said it’s a great challenge keeping up with Grossman and all his ideas. Goldberg was a member of the selection committee responsible for hiring Grossman.

“Rabbi Grossman is a very energetic and entrepreneurial leader,” he said. 

“He’s basically turning the Hillel world on its head, making some major changes and looking at some different opportunities for Hillel to broaden itself to a larger group of students than it typically has,” Goldberg added.

Goldberg said Grossman’s entrepreneurial spirit inspired the decision to hire him as UF Hillel’s new CEO and later appoint him as its rabbi.

Scott Raileanu, UF Hillel’s director of operations and engagement, knew Grossman when he served as an associate rabbi at Raileanu’s home congregation and joined Grossman’s team after he personally recruited him.

“He was pretty much a religious and spiritual mentor for me and sort of a life mentor for me,” Raileanu said.

Raileanu said Grossman’s passion and desire succeed is evident after working with him.

“There’s going to be no stone unturned by Adam Grossman to make Hillel successful and make the students that walk in our doors have a meaningful experience.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 8/26/2014 under the headline "UF Hillel appoints CEO Grossman as acting rabbi"]