#BetterUF helps generate platforms for Fall SG elections

Mashli Fleurestil recognizes the diversity of UF’s Student Body, but as one black student out of 50,000, she feels that minorities are underrepresented.

So Fleurestil, 19, picked up a marker and scribbled her suggestion on Swamp Party’s white poster board outside the Reitz Union: “More minority parties.”

“I think everyone deserves the opportunities to be known, and that’s what UF is about,” the biology sophomore said.

As the only major registered political party, members of the Swamp Party set up posters on Turlington Plaza and at the Reitz on Monday to collect ideas from passing students for its Fall 2014 campaign platform. The biannual “platform generation” will continue today. The other four registered parties did not choose to campaign.

A common topic was seen on all poster boards: more safety and lighting in lieu of recent assaults on campus. One student wrote, “Lighting, UF is too dark at night.”

The Swamp Party filled about six poster boards, front and back, with student suggestions.   

Swamp Party spokeswoman Katie Backstrand said the party’s platform will be released in the next few weeks. The Swamp Party is using the hashtag #BetterUF to make changes that students want.

“We’ve gone more toward making UF better for students,” she said.  

Another dominant request was more food choices such as Five Guys, Taco Bell and Burger King.  

Nate Reiff, a 19-year-old UF finance sophomore, suggested a Zaxby’s be built on Fraternity Row.  

“You have to take a bus to get to the nearest restaurant,” he said.

Fall elections are Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 9/16/2014 under the headline "#BetterUF helps generate platforms for Fall SG elections"]