<p>Fans wait out the weather delay during Florida's suspended game against Idaho at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday night. The game was announced a no contest on Wednesday.</p>

Fans wait out the weather delay during Florida's suspended game against Idaho at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday night. The game was announced a no contest on Wednesday.

Florida and Idaho will not face off again in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium this season.

The Gators’ suspended season opener against the Vandals has been ruled a no contest, UF announced on its website Wednesday.

UF Athletics Director Jeremy Foley and Idaho Athletics Director Rob Spear both decided that rescheduling the game this season would be a viable option, but the two teams have decided to play a game in Gainesville during the 2017 season, according to a release.

"We looked at a number of options and, in the end, we both thought it was in the best interest of our student-athletes and football programs to play out the remainder of our respective schedules as they stand," Foley said in a release.

Added Spear: "I want to thank UF, especially AD Jeremy Foley, for the professional and first-class way they worked through this issue and the focus on student-athlete welfare. It was not in our best interest to play 10 consecutive weeks without a bye week. We look forward to our return to Florida in 2017."

The game experienced a two-hour, 48-minute delay due to lightning within an eight-mile radius from the stadium. Per NCAA rules, play has to be suspended for at least 30 minutes following a lightning strike within that radius.

Officials gave the all-clear for a 9:50 p.m. start time, but the game only got as far as the opening kickoff.

UF will pay Idaho its $975,000 guarantee for coming to Gainesville by Feb. 1, as outlined in their contract agreement.

Fans who purchased tickets to the game will also be reimbursed at face value — student tickets at $15 and regular game tickets at $25.

Florida’s new season opener will be Saturday against Eastern Michigan (1-0) at 4 p.m. in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The last time Florida did not play its season opener on schedule was in 2004, when Hurricane Frances pushed the Week 1 game against Middle Tennessee back from Sept. 4, 2004 to Oct. 16. Florida’s new season-opening opponent that year was also Eastern Michigan.

"I wish we could have played the game Saturday night, but I support the decision made by both athletic directors," coach Will Muschamp said in a release.

"As I said earlier this week, our focus is getting our players and team ready for Eastern Michigan and we are excited to get back out there in front of our passionate and loyal fans."

Both Idaho and Florida had an open date on Oct. 25 — the weekend before Florida’s annual game against Georgia in Jacksonville. If they were to have played the game on that day, the Gators’ regular season would have ended with UF playing nine consecutive games.

"The season’s a brutal stretch," quarterback Jeff Driskel said.

"When you get to playing four, five weeks in a row, you don’t have as much time as you like to really rest your body. Football’s obviously a physical game, not as much for me as it is for some of the linemen or running backs or linebackers that are constantly hitting each other, but it’s big mentally and physically to take a little time off and get back to where you want to be."

Redshirt junior Valdez Showers, who returned the opening kickoff 64 yards to the Idaho 14-yard line, agreed.

"It’s a long season and to be honest with you a lot of players take advantage of those bye weeks, trying to really get in the treatment room and get treated up during the off week," Showers said, "but we definitely look forward to those bye weeks."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_mcpherson1126