UFitness: 5 FITuations you’ll run into when back at UF

Welcome back to The Gator Nation! Although your syllabi says it’s time to go to classes and learn lessons, your inner fitness freak says it’s time for some serious sweat and muscle gains – better yet, Gator gains!

You may want to pump the breaks before you pump the iron, though, because the start of every school year comes with a handful of situations that make upholding your fitness routine a struggle. 

Gym (copy)

Check out my top 5 FITuations you’re bound to face in early Fall and tips on how to overcome them:

1.    Overcrowded Gyms 

It happens after New Years. It happens before Spring Break. It happens at the start of the semester, too. Everybody seems to magically transform into exercise junkies, and they will pack the gyms like it’s nobody’s business during the first few weeks of school. Brace yourself to wait in line outside the weight room at Southwest Recreation Center, to stalk the group fitness classes in order to get a spot and to potentially park your car all the way in Narnia.

TIP: Stake out the proper time, or check out the web cams. 

If you want to try to avoid the chaos of these gym-pretenders and crowd-offenders as I like to call them, try going to the gym at different times each day to see when it’s less crowded. Or you can check out the web cameras at SWRC (http://www.recsports.ufl.edu/cameras) and at Student Recreation & Fitness Center (http://www.recsports.ufl.edu/camera/6) before you even head out the door.

2.    Alcohol… Alcohol Everywhere 

Monday nights call for beers at The Swamp. Then it’s FratTuesday. It’s a double dose of ladies night at Grog on Wednesday and then :08 on Thursday. Finally Gainesville lights up from Midtowntodowntown on Friday, giving students an endless list of liquor-filled fiestas. Do I even need to talk about gameday weekends? 

People call it GainesVegas and RageVille for a reason, you know. Temptation to party and drink exists every night of the week, and even for all the health and fitness nuts, it’s still difficult to avoid falling for the city’s booze ruse. 

TIP: Shoot for the Sober Six (Days of the Week). 

There’s no shame in going out and enjoying yourself with friends during the week, but if you want to try and watch your alcohol (and calorie) intake, try choosing just one of these days or events for drinking.

3.    There’s No Time to Cook… Oh, Look! Drive-Thru! 

Classes. Meetings. Events. Hangouts. It’ll feel like you have so much to do with so little time, and the lure of McDonald’s and Chick-Fil-A will feel incredibly enticing. It’s called fast food for a reason, but we all know these cheap, quick grub options aren’t necessarily the healthiest. 

TIP: Meal prep. 

Chances are you have at least an hour of free time Sunday morning before your study date. Use it wisely, and cook a few healthier meals in advance. Package the food in portable, meal-ready containers for those busy weekdays. Voilà! You’ll enjoy healthy, homemade meals to go and skip those crappy McWrappys!

4.    Gymtimidation 

Are you a workout newb? Are you terrified of the daunting walk through the entrance of SWRC’s weight room doors and feel like neon lights point straight at you saying, “Hey everyone! Look at me! I’m walking into the weight room now! LOOK!”? If any of the above applies, you likely have or will feel intimidated.

TIP: Go with a friend, or try a free orientation. 

There’s no shame in grabbing a pal to go with you as you familiarize yourself with the gyms and equipment on campus or as you simply build confidence. If you can’t find a buddy, try free orientations through RecSports Strength & Conditioning Program.

5.    Parking Problems 

For those who don’t have the luxury of living on campus or near one of the gyms, it can feel like a hassle getting to SWRC, Student Recreation & Fitness Center or the Stephen C. O’Connell Center Weight Room. Not to mention, parking is only available at certain times of the day in specific lots, and if by chance you slip up and park in the wrong lot at the wrong time, you will get a ticket. Trust me. Been there, done that.

TIP: Check out parking times online. 

Commuters can use the UF Campus Parking Map, which decals apply to each lot. Parking is lifted at different times for each decal, so pay attention!

On that note, don’t let these FITuations slow down your grind, Gators! Keep it healthy, and keep it happy.

Let the gains begin!