Students will have to wait until next semester to experience life as a chicken. 

Peta2’s virtual reality experience, “I, Chicken,” was set up on the Plaza of the Americas on Tuesday but was quickly taken down due to technical difficulties. 

“I, Chicken” uses virtual reality technology to give people a glimpse into the life of a chicken about to be slaughtered.

Through a virtual reality headpiece, participants are transformed into chickens walking around in a pasture. They can even make a chicken friend to follow around, said Peta2 crew member Grace Woodward.

After a few minutes, a crew member grabs the student’s arm and the audio of a farmer picking up chickens for slaughter plays. The participants are then put in a virtual truck and sent to the slaughterhouse.

“It’s made kids be able to empathize with these animals more than they would have if they never thought about their position before,” Woodward said.

Although the display was unable to work outside Tuesday, Woodward said they would return next semester so UF students can experience the simulation.

Hannah Stone, a UF biology sophomore, said she probably wouldn’t try the simulation.

“I just think it sounds really weird,” Stone, 19, said. She said it might be too gruesome for some students.  

The simulation isn’t meant to be scary, Woodward said.

“I, Chicken” is traveling to colleges across the country in an attempt to raise awareness of the conditions these animals experience.

“Our generation has the highest percentages of dedicated vegetarians and vegans, and we want to keep that going,” Woodward said. “We are becoming more interested in environmental issues, animal welfare issues and their health, so that’s why we’re particularly going after colleges.”