Thousands of pink ribbons hanging in store windows, pinned onto pedestrians’ chest pockets and printed on campus fliers mean only one thing: Pinktober is in full swing.

October, or Pinktober, is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease and lives affected.

“I think it’s important for all young people, men and women, to be aware of breast cancer, the warning signs and what to look out for,” said Yenisse Soto, missions and marketing manager of the Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Affiliate.

Soto said it’s important students find ways to get involved, whether through small donations or actively participating in an event.

Some UF organizations and Gainesville businesses are also hosting events to raise awareness within the community. There are several ways students can get involved directly and indirectly with the campaign this year.  

Students can indirectly participate in breast cancer awareness at any Tijuana Flats restaurant. The company, known for its fresh ingredients and crazy taco deals, allows customers to order pink tacos for an additional $1 to support the cause. 

Customers can also purchase a $5 bottle of “The Sauce That Saves,” and the money will be donated to breast cancer research.

“This is the second year we’ve been doing the pink tacos, (and) I believe this is the 10th year we’ve been doing fundraising for breast cancer,” said Juan Segura, manager of the Tijuana Flats on University Avenue. 

“Last year it was a pretty big success. We donated over $250,000 as a company in one month,” he said. “This year we’re looking to increase that number.”

Besides the vivid pink tacos and spicy hot sauce, customers can come in and sign the survivor wall, which is dedicated to individuals who have survived any form of cancer over the years.

“All the stores are doing it — it’s pretty cool. It’s liberating putting someone’s name up there,” Segura said.  

Segura said customers who do not donate can still put a name on the wall. 

All Tijuana Flats locations will have this promotion going until Oct. 26.