A local nonprofit’s new program will allow volunteers to turn service credit into a car.

Pledge 5 Foundation’s Community Overdrive program will reward volunteers $50 in credit for each service event they attend. The credits accumulated will give consistently involved volunteers the chance to buy a car for a reduced price.

“We’re always looking for ways to entice people to do volunteer work,” said Jason Bowman, CEO of Pledge 5 Foundation. “So we look for rewards that are central to living.” 

The organization also offers the Rent 5 program to receive discounted rent.

Service socials are hosted every weekend, and typical shifts last about five hours, Bowman said. Events include working with other nonprofits such as the Ronald McDonald House Charities of North Central Florida and the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens.

All socials are free, and a list can be found on Pledge 5 Foundation’s website and Facebook page.

Lindsey Peterson, a 19-year-old UF health science sophomore, has volunteered at every service event since August.

“Volunteering at a variety of places with Pledge 5 has made me learn about parts of Gainesville that I didn’t prior,” she said, “and to be able to help out those different organizations is an awesome feeling.”