When I first came to Gainesville, I struggled to find a place with affordable delicious salads. Croutons is convenient, but I always walk away hungry. I tried Subway salads, but the extent of their mix-ins only spanned the vegetables used to top their sandwiches – boring.  

At the end of my first year, I tried Designer Greens. Located near University Avenue and in the heart of Midtown, Designer Greens is very convenient – especially when you’re on campus. 

Although its salads are a bit more expensive than Croutons, the portion size is larger and much more satisfying.

designer greens

Like Croutons, there is a set menu of salad options; however, customers also have the opportunity to build whatever salad they may want. This is always a nice option because you can create dozens of different salad combinations to keep your taste buds occupied.

If you choose to order directly from the set menu, I highly recommend Summer, which has mandarin oranges, strawberries, gala apples, candied sunflower seeds and Gorgonzola cheese with a honey poppy seed dressing. It’s a refreshingly delicious fruity salad.

The avocado salad, which is made from red onions, avocadoes, mandarin oranges, corn, hard-boiled eggs, candied sunflower seeds, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar, is good for when you want more of a savory salad.

Designer Greens also allows you to order a half salad and a half-flatbread sandwich combination. This is great for when you want something warm, but still healthy, in your stomach.

One of my favorite sandwiches is Alice Springs – made with grilled chicken, bacon, mushrooms, cheddar cheese and honey mustard. Another good one to try is the Turkey Portobello sandwich, which has turkey, Portobello mushrooms, tomato, Gorgonzola cheese and mayo.

Designer Greens has become my go-to spot for salads and one of my regular eateries. If you’re trying to eat healthier, trying Designer Greens is a must!