<p>Michael Frazier II attempts a three-point shot during Florida's 79-70 exhibition win against Barry on Nov. 6.</p>

Michael Frazier II attempts a three-point shot during Florida's 79-70 exhibition win against Barry on Nov. 6.

Tonight could be history in the making for the Florida basketball program. Game 1 of UF’s 2014-15 basketball season tips off at 6 p.m. in the O’Connell Center. The game will also serve as UF’s first ever matchup against William & Mary of the Colonial Athletic Association.

"You’re going to be playing against a team that’s going to run the Princeton style. They are really good in terms of passing, cutting, moving," coach Billy Donovan said.

"They utilize the 3-point line very well, they get you on back cuts for layups. They’re a team that stays true to their system, their style of play and what they’re doing."

The No. 7 Gators have never lost a season opener under Donovan’s coaching — another area for possible history in the making.

But with no projected changes in the starting lineup, Donovan’s most experienced players will attempt to keep his 18-0 season opener record alive and well.

Florida’s three guards, center and forward will face off against William & Mary’s two guards and three forwards.

The countdown continues for the return of Chris Walker. The sophomore forward will sit out tonight and on Monday night against the University of Miami as he finishes up his three-game suspension. Until then, expect Donovan to keep the lineup the same.

"God forbid somebody gets hurt or injured or there’s no bad attitudes or anything," Donovan said. "Those guys have been good from that standpoint. But I would envision us going the same way."

The Tribe’s starting lineup includes senior guard Marcus Thornton.

"He’s really, really good. He’ll be as good as any guard that we’ll play against this year," Donovan said of Thornton.

Donovan said he’s eager to see how these rotations stack up against Thornton, who averaged 18.7 points per game and contributed 599 total points in his junior season, ending the year with a 40.3 percent in 3-point percentage.

"He can really score the ball, he’s got really good size, he’s got deep range, he can play in pick n roll, he can play in transition," Donovan said. "He’s a special player."

Florida’s only returning starter, junior guard Michael Frazier II expects covering Thornton to be a true team effort, and one that could test Florida’s ability to execute such an effort.

"Can’t have one guy on the island with him, going to have to be a team effort," Frazier said. "Going to have to help each other and, like I said, communicate on defense, help them speed the game up a little bit and, you know, just do what we do."

With no exhibitions games on its schedule, tonight’s game will be William & Mary’s first glance of its 2014-2015 team.

From what Donovan saw of his team against Barry on Nov. 6, he knows they have a long way to go to live up to the high expectations placed on the near-National Champion Gators.

"I think they can see, guys from last year, know what a really good defensive team looks like and we’re not there yet," Donovan said. "The biggest from last year for me, which is great for this year’s team, is there’s a measuring stick, not in terms of leadership, but in terms of defensive possessions, transition defense, communication, running offense, executing, extra pass, ball movement, they have a pretty good idea what that looks like."

Though Florida managed a 79-70 win against Barry, the Buccaneers managed more points in the paint, more points off turnovers and more second chance points than the Gators. Frazier said the players are aware of where they’re currently falling short.

"I mean, we understand that there’s a lot of things to get better at and right now that’s all we’re focused on, is just getting better every day, not about the future, not worrying about the past, just staying in the moment, focusing on what we can control," Frazier said.

Something Frazier and the other individuals on the roster can’t quite control or fully grasp is who will emerge as Florida’s leader.

It seems the question of leadership is an inescapable theme that’ll continue to plague the 2014-15 Gators.

"I learned a really, really valuable lesson several years ago when I tried to force it down Erving Walker’s throat that he needed to lead our team," Donovan said.

"And I did it and did it and did it and did it and did it. It got to a point where he couldn’t handle it. He just didn’t feel like he was capable of doing what I wanted him to do."

With that lesson learned, Donovan is making a conscious effort not to push a leadership role onto any player at this point in the season because he said he’s unsure if any player is capable of handling that responsibility right now.

"I would rather have our players play well and have me lead than have guys try to lead and not play well because they have too many responsibilities," he said.

Follow Erica Hernandez on Twitter @EricaAlyssa