Winn-Dixie to stop being a 24-hour grocery store option

Gainesville’s 24-hour Winn-Dixie will begin shutting its doors each day starting this Saturday. 

The grocery store — located at 2002 SW 34th St. off of 20th Avenue — will no longer be open all day. Instead, customers will have to shop for groceries between the hours of 7 a.m. and midnight. 

Though a store manager confirmed the hours change Tuesday night, Winn-Dixie’s corporate contact was not available for comment. 

“That really sucks,” said Valeria Morell, a 20-year old biological sciences sophomore. “I didn’t know they were doing that.”

Morell and her girlfriend, Andrea Faria, a 20-year-old electrical engineering junior, shop at Winn-Dixie often and make the occasional late-night run for necessities like Nutella and ice cream. 

“We really wanted to have Nutella screwballs at two in the morning,” Faria said about one impromptu trip. 

But for other students, like Cassidy Minnick, an 18-year-old nursing freshman, the change won’t really affect them. 

The Winn Dixie location is on Minnick’s bus route home, so she does her shopping after class. 

Winn Dixie will close at 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve and remain closed until 7 a.m. on Dec. 26 for the holidays. It will also close early at 10 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.