Gamesville Tabletop offers board game haven to locals

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-efc9e1f9-f11e-c7b3-f168-8a0f8bbbfed0"><span>Robert Kagel, a 21-year-old UF information systems senior, reaches across the table to move a game-piece representing his in-game character, Kahw the Tengu. Kagel was playing a campaign from the table-top game Pathfinders, in which players adopt personas and play through dungeons represented by table mats.</span></span></p>

Robert Kagel, a 21-year-old UF information systems senior, reaches across the table to move a game-piece representing his in-game character, Kahw the Tengu. Kagel was playing a campaign from the table-top game Pathfinders, in which players adopt personas and play through dungeons represented by table mats.

Callie Williams has passion for two things: her 18-year-old son, Grey, and Dungeons & Dragons.

Williams combined her two passions and launched Gamesville Tabletop in November.

Located at 4211 NW 16th Blvd., Gamesville was originally a place for Grey Williams and his home-school group to meet and play board games. Callie Williams figured selling games would be a perfect way to fund the space.

But the business took off, and Callie Williams’s said her outlook changed.

“Now, I’m just passionate about games,” the 44-year-old Gainesville resident said.

Dozens of board games line the shelves of the store, ranging from Monopoly to Pathfinder to Settlers of Catan and everything in between.

Look around, and you’ll see hundreds of playing cards propped up in glass shelves, as well as dragon figurines and other fan merchandise lining the walls of the store’s front room.

Trek a bit farther into the back room and you’ll find the main reason for the store’s popularity.

That’s where Gamesville hosts gaming events every day except Monday where children, students and residents of all ages gather around tables to play their favorite board games.

Since its opening, the shop’s busiest days have been on the weekends, Callie Williams said. But lately, business has increased. She said on Saturday, every seat was filled.

Each day of the week is dedicated to a different gaming theme: Wednesdays are reserved for role-playing games and Thursdays are for Grey Williams’ home-school group. Stop by on a Friday for Friday Night Magic and be greeted by a store full of eager gamers playing magic-themed games. On Saturday at 6 p.m., the Gainesville Pathfinder Society will meet, followed by a night of war-miniature tabletop games.

“It’s been a good mix of everyone,” Callie Williams said of customers. 

She added she’s proud to offer a haven where gamers who may not have anywhere else to go can come together.

“So far, that’s been one of the favorite things. People will say to me, ‘Wow, this is just what we needed. I’m so glad you’re here,’” Callie Williams said. “It’s been awesome.”

Grey Williams, a Santa Fe College freshman, has inherited his mother’s enthusiasm for gaming. His mother introduced him to Dungeons & Dragons when he was 9 years old as a means to keep his mind sharp during home schooling.

“I like to say I was practically raised by Dungeons & Dragons,” Grey Williams said.

About a decade later, gaming has transformed into a lifestyle for him.

“Before the game store opened, I heard people saying stuff like, X is my life, baseball is my life, cooking is my life, something is my life. I always thought that’s weird. I wouldn’t really want my life to be anything,” he said. “But then this game store opened. If I had to pick one thing to be my life, this would be it.”

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 1/16/2015 under the headline “Gamesville Tabletop offers board game haven to locals"]