January at UF means gyms packed full of students carrying out New Year’s resolutions meant to start the semester off on a healthy note.

Kisa Mugwanya, marketing assistant at Southwest Recreation Center, said the gym has been crowded since the new year began.

“We have been opening up an hour and a half earlier in order to accommodate to all students,” Mugwanya said.

Cassie Imrie, a 19-year-old UF accounting sophomore, said she enjoys running when the weather is warm. But rainy days, like Monday, send her indoors to finish her workout at the Student Recreation Center.

She said the gym was so crowded that she could not use some equipment, limiting her workout. She usually uses the StairMaster, but they were all occupied, and it cut her hourlong workout in half.

Imrie decided to brave the weather.

“I wasn’t as happy, but I just ran outside for a little longer to make up for it,” she said.

Mugwanya said Southwest does not want students to be discouraged from using its facilities. The gym has live webcams that can be seen on their website to analyze gym traffic and allow students to plan accordingly before heading out.

Imrie said she encourages those who hope to get healthy this year to not let the crowded gym discourage their progress.

“It’s not a one-time thing,” Imrie said. “You have to continue doing it until you’re addicted to it.”