Santa Fe College Student Government will hold its first Senate meeting of the year today at 4 p.m.

One of the topics that needs a resolution this term within Santa Fe’s Student Government is the possible impeachment of its Senate president, Jeremy Pierce.

The resolution to impeach Pierce will have to be resubmitted to the agenda list after being taken off during the final Senate meeting of 2014, said Internal Affairs Director Benjamin Myers and Sen. Connor Levine. Levine asked to allow Senate to adjourn early so senators could have time to study for finals.  

When the vote was passed, it marked the second week in a row the Senate failed to vote on Pierce’s impeachment.  

Pierce has been under criticism by senators in recent months for allegedly threatening to remove senators from their positions — allegations that Pierce says are not true.

Support for Pierce has been mixed. In early November, senators voted 24-22 they had “no confidence” in Pierce.

Despite all of the criticism, Pierce said he has remained confident that he will stay in his position.

Senators have said it is unclear whether the original impeachment resolution will be voted back onto the agenda list. Myers said it is a possibility that a new resolution will be written.

“As it is, we’re pretty much going to have to write a new one because other stuff has come to light,” Myers said, declining to comment any further.

Elections are also beginning to be discussed among senators, Levine and Chief Justice Kyle Ramirez said.  

However, they would not mention who the potential candidates are.

Ramirez also discussed his main goal for this semester, which is leaving Student Government in a better condition than it was when he first took office.

“When I got into the office there was nothing for me to go by. I had nobody to shadow or teach me or tell me what my role or job is,” Ramirez said.

“I had to figure it all out and basically reinvent the wheel on so many things and practices,” he added.

Sen. Caleb Lewis said that elections would be different this year compared to last year’s election.

Previously, students could vote online or at booths on campus and at satellite locations. This year, he said, students will still be able to vote online and at booths where laptops will be replacing scantron-like pieces of paper.