Study: Drinking has immediate effect on immune systems

A night out on the town might mean more than just a hangover the next morning.

According to a study conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland in December, binge drinking has an immediate effect on the immune system, taking as little as two hours following peak intoxication to weaken it.

This can increase an individual’s risk for illnesses such as the common cold, pneumonia and tuberculosis, said Natalie Kelso, a 27-year-old UF epidemiology doctoral student studying the inflammatory response of alcohol.

“Your immune system, instead of just being a little activated, (is) going to become over-activated,” she said. “And it’s going to have to work a lot harder to combat the inflammation.”

In the study, 15 volunteers between the ages of 22 and 34 consumed enough alcohol, depending on their weight, to reach peak intoxication.

Before participants consumed alcohol, researchers collected blood samples. Additional samples were taken 20 minutes, two hours and five hours after volunteers drank, according to the study.

At the 20-minute mark, researches saw an increase in immune system activity, evidenced by an increase in white blood cells, according to the study. However, at the two- and five-hour marks, the researchers saw the white blood cell count dip below the level present when participants were sober.

While there are studies showing the negative effects of binge drinking over time, Kelso said there are also benefits to consuming small-to-moderate amounts of alcohol.

She compared small doses of alcohol consumption to getting a vaccination or exercising.

“It’s sort of like priming your immune system,” Kelso said. “It’s good to work out your immune system so that it becomes better.”

Andre McFadden II, 22, agreed the decision to drink is up to each individual’s discretion, but he said those who do drink should be accountable for their actions.

“If you’re not responsible for it,” the geography senior said, “you’re going to suffer heavy consequences.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 1/14/2015 under the headline “Study: Drinking has  immediate effect on immune systems"]

Eat before you drink

Pace yourself, setting a limit of one drink per hour

Practice safety by going out with friends and only accepting drinks you watched the bartender make

Have a safe way to get back home (designated driver/Later Gator/SNAP/GOTCHA)

Call 911 if anyone is exhibiting signs of alcohol poisoning

— Source: Alicia Baker, GatorWell health promotion specialist