<p>Dalton Guthrie bats during Florida's 22-3 win against Rhode Island on Saturday at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Dalton Guthrie bats during Florida's 22-3 win against Rhode Island on Saturday at McKethan Stadium.

Dalton Guthrie didn’t have butterflies when he stepped up to the plate on Sunday.

After going 2-for-8 and striking out twice in No. 6 Florida’s first two wins against Rhode Island, Guthrie handled his own in the series finale.

The freshman second baseman and leadoff hitter knocked down four hits on five at-bats as the Gators defeated the Rams 6-1 at McKethan Stadium and finished their season-opening sweep.

"It’s just getting comfortable," Guthrie said. "After playing with the same team for four years, it’s a little different transitioning, but I feel like I’m getting more comfortable and fitting in better."

In addition to his four hits on Sunday — two of which were doubles — Guthrie also scored three runs while recording an RBI and a stolen base.

"Everything he does is full-tilt," coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. "He’ll never give you a bad effort down the line."

The Gators (3-0) plated 37 runs over the three-game series — including a 22-run outburst on Saturday.

The total marked the most runs scored in UF’s opening three games since Florida brought in 40 runs against Cincinnati to open the 2006 season and tied for the seventh most in the program’s 101-year history.

"When you’ve got a chance to sweep a team like Rhode Island that’s a lot older than us, considering we played five freshmen, we feel really good with where we are," O’Sullivan said.

Rhode Island (0-3) recorded nine hits in the series finale, matching its total from the first two games combined.

But the Rams hit themselves into two double plays and left five runners on base, getting their lone run on a solo home run from outfielder Nick DeRegis in the fifth inning.

"It was big. They were especially playing for pride," Guthrie said. "They came out (Sunday) ready to play."

A.J. Puk, who started UF’s first two wins at first base, earned the win on the mound after giving up just one run in 4.2 innings. The sophomore left-handed pitcher gave up six hits and two walks while striking out four of the 19 batters he faced.

"I felt really good," Puk said. "I was happy to be out there."

Outfielder Harrison Bader finished the three-game series going 7-for-12 at the plate with three home runs, two doubles and 11 RBIs.

The junior recorded at least two hits and two RBIs in each game this weekend.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126