Monday, June 17, 2024
<p>Lauren Haeger swings during Florida’s 2-0 win against Ole Miss on March 9 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.&nbsp;</p>

Lauren Haeger swings during Florida’s 2-0 win against Ole Miss on March 9 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. 

Florida softball was firing on all cylinders in its season opener against Hampton as the Gators run ruled the Lady Pirates by a score of 17-0 in five innings Friday afternoon in Tampa at the USF Softball Classic.

Leading the charge on the pitching side was senior Lauren Haeger, who retired the side in order in the top of the first, striking out all three Hampton batters she faced.

“I thought it was good. Lauren Haeger really set the temp for us well and came out and had her pitches going,” coach Tim Walton said in a release. “The offense turned it over in the first inning and had some really good, solid, quality at-bats.”

The Gators got on the board early and often in the bottom of the first inning. After junior Kirsti Merritt singled and stole second base and Haeger walked, Merritt scored on an error off the bat of junior Bailey Castro by Hampton right fielder Jada Fields, putting the Gators up 1-0.

In the same inning, freshman Nicole DeWitt earned an RBI after a bases loaded walk, which was followed by freshman Janell Wheaton’s two-run double down the left field line. Junior Kelsey Stewart capped off the seven run inning with a triple to left center that knocked in three runs.

Florida didn’t look back after that.

The Gators plated six more runs in the bottom of the second inning and knocked Hampton starting pitcher Jailynn Jackson out of the game after she allowed 12 runs (seven earned) on nine hits in 1.1 innings pitched. The inning was highlighted by Wheaton’s second two-run double of the game and Merritt’s double to left field that also scored two.

Haeger breezed through her three innings pitched as she earned the win and finished with six strikeouts, giving up zero runs and hits in the process.

The Gators tacked on two runs in both the third and fourth innings to push the score to 17-0. Junior Taylore Fuller had a game-high three hits in the win, while scoring three runs as well. Wheaton finished the game 2-4 with two doubles and a game-high four RBI.

The Gators, who scored 17 runs on 14 hits, were equally as impressive in the circle. Freshman Aleshia Ocasio pitched the fourth inning, allowing one hit and no runs while striking out two. Sophomore Delanie Gourley finished the game the same way it started, by striking out the side in the fifth inning, sealing the win for the Gators.

Florida’s will take on eighth-ranked Michigan in its next game Saturday at 1:30 p.m. ET. Walton said his team will have to focus on winning every inning against the Wolverines.

“We know how good they are up and down their lineup,” he said. “We know what kind of pitching staff they have. They have a pitching staff like we have – a very quality pitching staff.”

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @pinakk12