Gypsy Palace to close doors after almost 14 years of business

<p dir="ltr">A sign inside Gypsy Palace on 4000 W. Newberry Road displays price cuts put in place by the store’s clearance sale. The store, which has been open for almost 14 years, will close sometime in the next couple weeks.</p>

A sign inside Gypsy Palace on 4000 W. Newberry Road displays price cuts put in place by the store’s clearance sale. The store, which has been open for almost 14 years, will close sometime in the next couple weeks.

After more than a decade of business, Gypsy Palace is closing.

Located at 4000 W. Newberry Road, Gypsy Palace carries clothes, jewelry, rocks, crystals, gemstones and incense from places all over the world, like China and Morocco, said co-owner Michael Ryon.

“Our reputation is that you can get the best deal here,” he said.

It’s a reputation almost 14 years in the making, and it will be coming to an end soon, although Ryon said he is still not sure of an exact date.

“I’ve been playing it by ear,” he said.

Ryon and the other co-owner of the store, Darlene Nash, have decided not to renew their lease.

“Business is real slow,” Ryon said. “My partner and I are totally tired of being in the store all day.”

Under the purple and yellow sign with the store’s name are black and white “Clearance” signs plastered all over the store’s front windows.

When it comes to closing Gypsy Palace’s doors, Ryon said he is grateful that they’re still open today.

“Who knew that months ago, that I’d be in here still selling,” he said.

Sanna Saare, a freelance graphic designer, said she’s sad to see the store go.

“It’s heartbreaking for me,” she said. “I’ve been friends with them for years, and I followed them at the different locations they’ve had.”

Saare created the Facebook page for Gypsy Palace and shot the photography for it. It was on Facebook that she got a notification from the page announcing that the store is closing.

Ryon, who is part of the Krishna community, said when people come into this life, they have a karma and a destiny.

“Really, we think we’re in control, but really we’re just fulfilling our destiny,” he said. “We’re predestined to have a certain amount of money in life; a certain amount of happiness.”

Until he decides what to do next, any unsold merchandise will go into storage. For now, he isn’t sure of plans for what to do in the future.

“I don’t know what will happen,” he said, “but I know that everything will work out to the best.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/24/2015 under the headline “Gypsy Palace closes for business after 14 years"]