NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe Student Senate struggles to meet quorum again

Santa Fe College Student Senate struggled to reach and keep enough senators present to conduct business during Wednesday’s meeting.

Once enough senators were present, they finalized funding approved last week, and Sen. Lucas Jewell apologized for abruptly leaving last week’s meeting.

Jewell apologized in order to move his club, Young Americans for Liberty, out of bad standing.

Senators also confirmed a $3,980.56 request by Health Services Administration Student Association to attend the 2015 Congress on Healthcare Leadership in Chicago.

Senators were unable to approve a $705 request by the Respiratory Care Club to attend a conference because the number of senators fell below quorum.

Wednesday’s meeting was one of many this semester when senators did not meet quorum. Some senators argue that too much drama and agenda-pushing is causing senators to not want to attend Senate.

“The funny thing is, people don’t want to come anymore,” said Benjamin Myers, Internal Affairs director. “We’ve been rife with conflict for a while, but that’s normal in politics.”

Joel Cray, an 18-year-old Santa Fe English and education freshman, said he thinks senators should focus on their work.

“It’s interesting to go to if you like a daytime drama,” he said. “It kind of reminds me of an interesting season of ‘Bad Girls Club.’”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/12/2015 under the headline “Santa Fe Student Senate struggles to meet quorum again"]