<p>Logan Shore pitches during Florida's 3-2 loss to the College of Charleston on May 30 at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Logan Shore pitches during Florida's 3-2 loss to the College of Charleston on May 30 at McKethan Stadium.

Logan Shore’s mindset heading into his freshman year with the UF baseball team was simple.

Anytime he stepped onto the mound, he focused on one thing.

"Work hard and throw strikes," he said.

Now a year older and a year more experienced, Shore is prepared to lead the Gators as the team’s Opening Day pitcher when No. 6 Florida begins its three-game series against Rhode Island at 7 p.m. at McKethan Stadium.

"I’ve come a long way," Shore said. "I’m definitely ready and I’m definitely excited. You know, it’s a little different coming in your sophomore year. I have a full season under my belt and I’m looking forward to another season with this team."

Shore has led Florida to more than his fair share of wins as a freshman.

The Coon Rapids, Minnesota, native led the Gators with a 2.16 ERA and a 7-4 record in his first year of collegiate baseball and became the Friday-night starter in UF’s third weekend series of the year against Connecticut.

He held opponents to a .241 batting average and gave up just one home run in his rookie season — a two-run blast by Kentucky third baseman Max Kuhn in the opening round of the Southeastern Conference Tournament.

Coach Kevin O’Sullivan has seen Shore progress and said his pitcher knows what is expected as the No. 1 pitcher in the rotation.

But the eighth-year head coach said he does not want Shore to put too much pressure on himself when he’s playing.

"If he just goes out there and does his thing, that’ll be enough," O’Sullivan said.

"He doesn’t need to be Superman. He just needs to be consistent the way he always is."

The Gators will start a trio of sophomores on the mound to open the season, with Logan Shore getting the Friday-night start.

Dane Dunning and A.J. Puk will start Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

"Even though they’re sophomores and only been in the league once, they’re well-seasoned and it’s almost like they’ve been here for three years," shortstop Richie Martin said.

Puk started seven games and saw action on the mound in 20 games overall in 2014, going 5-2 and striking out 46 batters while only giving up 18 walks.

Dunning, on the other hand, saw just 24 innings of action as a relief pitcher.

While the righty from Fleming Island, Florida, had a limited role in his freshman year, O’Sullivan said he has been impressed with how Dunning has performed in practice.

"Dane Dunning, I’ll tell you what, he’s as good as anyone we’ve got," O’Sullivan said. "He’s just got to do it when the lights go on."

And the rest of Florida’s roster will need to do the same.

With the majority of the team returning from last year’s roster along with a nine-player freshman class, the Gators plan to make the most of their depth this season, which will be tested early.

With sophomore Peter Alonso (foot) and freshman Jeremy Vasquez (finger) sidelined for the beginning of the season, Florida has voids at both first base and right field.

Sophomore Ryan Larson and freshman Logan Browning are possibilities at right field, while Puk will take the bulk of the time at first base for Florida’s first two games.

"Once we get (Alonso and Vasquez) back, I think it’ll give us even more versatility," O’Sullivan said. "But I think it speaks volumes of our depth when your third first baseman is pretty good."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126