Trading website, Brtr, gaining traction at UF

A new website is helping Taryn Tacher reach her $2,000 fundraising goal for Dance Marathon.

Tacher, a 22-year-old UF journalism senior, is making dream catchers and selling them on Brtr, planning to donate the proceeds to Dance Marathon for the UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital.

Brtr, which launched in January, acts as a more interpersonal space for local people to buy and sell services. 

It gives people a place to turn their passions into skills to create an income, said founder Rachel Federman.

“What if you gave (people) the power to start doing what they love?” she said. “We’re here to really try to change the landscape for people who need a flexible schedule and put the power into their hands.”

Brtr users have taken advantage of its quick setup and simple procedure, creating a space to make money within minutes. 

Users are offering resume critiques, skateboarding lessons and event planning services.

UF students have caught on to the site, which provides an opportunity for income on a time-crunched schedule.

Tacher said in two weeks she had about 20 clients. Each dream catcher is sold for $15.

“It’s been a lot more successful than I would have expected,” she said. “I’ve had constant orders.”

UF political science sophomore Rachel Reiss, 20, said starting her resume-critiquing company was simple, but it hasn’t been successful — yet.

“I think that will come as there is more PR to accompany (Brtr),” Reiss said.

Brtr currently has 267 people logged into the site, but only a small portion of those people are providing services, Federman said.

“Everyone is welcome,” she said. “Everyone has something to offer.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/3/2015 under the headline “Website Brtr gaining traction at UF"]