<p>Buddy Reed swings at a pitch during Florida's 9-4 win against Tennessee on March 15 at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Buddy Reed swings at a pitch during Florida's 9-4 win against Tennessee on March 15 at McKethan Stadium.

The No. 2 Florida baseball team fell 4-1 in its series opener against Ole Miss on Friday in Oxford, Mississippi.

After tallying 14 hits on Tuesday against FSU, the Gators (19-4, 2-2 Southeastern Conference) recorded just three hits against the Rebels (12-9, 2-2 SEC).

“We have to do a better job on Friday nights,” UF coach Kevin O’Sullivan said in a release. “We need to have better at-bats and keep the ball out of the air a little more and see if we can get on the board early.”

Ole Miss jumped on the board from the get-go, recording two runs when center fielder J.B. Woodman hit a home run to right-center field.

The Rebels tacked on its final two runs in the sixth on a two-RBI single from Austin Knight.

UF scored its lone run in the top of the seventh, when freshman Mike Rivera knocked a double to right-center field to score Buddy Reed.

Logan Shore earned his second consecutive loss after giving up two runs and three hits in 3.2 innings of work. He struck out three while giving up four free passes.

Game 2 of the series is Saturday at 2:30 p.m.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126