New clinic brings health care to southwest Gainesville

<p>Joan Canton, vice chair of Southwest Advocacy Group, cuts the ribbon in front of the new Southwest Health Clinic at 816 SW 64th Terrace. The clinic, which will offer health care services to Linton Oaks and surrounding neighborhoods, opens Tuesday.</p>

Joan Canton, vice chair of Southwest Advocacy Group, cuts the ribbon in front of the new Southwest Health Clinic at 816 SW 64th Terrace. The clinic, which will offer health care services to Linton Oaks and surrounding neighborhoods, opens Tuesday.

Anthanette Manns can say goodbye to the three bus trips she used to take to see a doctor. As of today, all Linton Oaks residents — and those in surrounding neighborhoods — will have a clinic within walking distance.

One hundred chairs were set up under a white tent outside the Southwest Health Clinic on Monday morning, but that wasn’t enough. 

At least 100 more community members stretched outside the tented area, waiting patiently for the unveiling of their collaborative efforts.

“This is an exciting day in Alachua County,” said Owen Roberts, superintendent of Alachua County Public

Schools, at the opening ceremony outside the clinic, located at 816 SW 64th Terrace.

The clinic was a product of a triple partnership. The county owns the building, the Alachua County Health Department will run the facility and the Southwest Advocacy Group will hold an advisory role.

It will offer adult physicals, disease control, sexually transmitted disease testing, clinical care, family planning, and women and children’s health services starting today from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“People can get good health care without giving up a day of their life,” said SWAG’s vice chair Joan Canton.

When Canton cut the ribbon, the tours began.

Southwest Health Clinic

Pictured is the Southwest Health Clinic’s lab. The clinic will be staffed by the Alachua County Health Department.

Southwest Health Clinic

Pictured is one of four dental chairs in the Southwest Health Clinic. Dental health care is one of the medical services that the Southwest Health clinic will provide when it opens.

Manns, who lives across the street from the clinic, was one of the first in line to tour the new facility.

The building’s sleek interior — with white walls and salmon-colored tile — caught awed eyes as visitors were guided through the lobby, down to the five exam rooms and the rash exam room, past the four dental chairs and into the testing lab.

It cost about $482,000 to design, construct and furnish the building, which was purchased in 2011 by the Alachua County Commission, according to a pamphlet given out at the ceremony. 

The commission, SWAG, Rotary Clubs of Gainesville and a multitude of donations from community members and organizations helped out with the funding.

“To me, this project is bigger than any single number,” said Dorothy Thomas, SWAG special projects and fundraising chair.

The group aims to bring resources to the low-income neighborhood between Southwest 20th Avenue and Interstate 75, Thomas said.

It opened a Family Resource Center in 2012 and added a children’s playground soon after.

The clinic is its third initiative, and there’s more to come.

Thomas announced Monday morning SWAG’s plans to create an early learning center.

And yes, she said, that means she’ll be asking for the community to join forces once again.

“In a few years,” she said, “let’s meet back in the same place and cut another ribbon.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 3/17/2015 under the headline “New clinic brings health care to southwest GNV”]