<p>A white Tacoma pickup truck shows damage after it hit a man crossing University Ave in front of Mother's Pub. </p>

A white Tacoma pickup truck shows damage after it hit a man crossing University Ave in front of Mother's Pub. 

A Gainesville man is in critical condition after he was hit by a car early Tuesday. The accident closed down part of University Avenue for several hours.

Just before midnight Monday, a 49-year-old man was passing through the plants in the median in front of Mother’s Pub and Grill, at 1017 W. University Ave., Gainesville Police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email. 

The man, John Michael Thompson, was then was hit by a white Tacoma pickup truck driving eastbound on West University Avenue. 

He was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital, where as of Tuesday morning he was being treated for serious, life-threatening head and internal injuries, Tobias said.

Officers blocked off University Avenue between 10th and 12th streets with yellow tape for about two hours as Mother’s patrons watched a forensic investigator photograph pieces of debris in the road. 

Police are continuing to investigate the accident.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 3/18/2015 under the headline “Pedestrian injured in crash”]