NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe College Student Body President and Vice President candidates: Flynn and Gwynn

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Conor Flynn is</span> running with the United Party for Santa Fe College Student Body president.</p>

Conor Flynn is running with the United Party for Santa Fe College Student Body president.

Conor Flynn and Hannah Gwynn are in this together.

Flynn and Gwynn are running with the United Party for Santa Fe College Student Body president and vice president, respectively. Elections start today, and the two have been busy campaigning.  

Gwynn, an 18-year-old elementary education sophomore, said she believes her love for teaching gives her the skills necessary to be a good Student Body vice president, adding that she has the patience necessary to be a good leader.

Flynn said he has accumulated 17,000 community service hours and received the President’s Volunteer Service Award for his work.

Both candidates already have experience working in Student Government. Flynn currently serves as the director of fundraising and Gwynn serves as director of SG Parking, Transportation and Safety.

The candidates stress two main policies: better representation for students and better relationships between Santa Fe senators.

Flynn said that, if elected, he and Gwynn plan to send leadership team members to each Santa Fe campus on a monthly basis to hear from students.

Senate Secretary Matthew Fernandez, who has worked with Flynn and Gwynn for the past two semesters, said the two are passionate about helping students and have the skills needed to get the job done.

“They’re going to go in every day with the mentality to do the best they can (for the students),” he said.

The pair plans to hold monthly Town Hall-style meetings on the main campus’ Oak Grove to actively engage with fellow students.

To foster stronger relationships between Santa Fe senators, Flynn said he and his running mate hope to bring SG branches closer together and mediate issues between senators. But some senators have reacted critically to this proposal, saying it’s impossible to rid SG of all drama because it exists in all levels of politics.

“We understand you can’t get rid of drama; that’s just a thing with people,” Gwynn said. 

“(But) the drama we have going on now is personal drama. It’s drama that shouldn’t be included in Student Government.”

Hannah Gwynn is running with the United Party for Santa Fe College Student Body vice president