A Philadelphia-based band named after female genitalia is bringing BDSM to Gainesville tonight.

Gash, an S&M rock band, will perform at 8 p.m. at Loosey’s Downtown, 120 SW First Ave., as part of its first tour, Astral Liberation. Entry to the concert is $5.

Lead singer and submissive, Tibbie X, spoke with the Avenue about the band’s performances and goals.

How did you get involved in Gash?

I was looking for a band that I could write music for and have more of a voice and a say. I put an ad on Craigslist and the lead guitarist got in touch with me. Domme Stephxecutioner was performing at a burlesque show and it was perfect.

How did you get the idea to be an S&M band?

We didn’t plan that, it just came out in the music. Once we started writing the music, I started getting really visual ideas. The music will direct me visually. I feel sometimes more like a punk storyteller. I’m singing more with emotions and trying to connect with people.

Can you explain how a usual show would go?

We kind of go with the energy of whatever happens naturally. There are mosh pits, but they’re different than a regular mosh pit because we’re open sexually and are very much involved in the LGBT community. It’s not a traditional testosterone, beat-each-other-up mosh pit. It’s a party pit. It’s beautiful. Sometimes I look out at what’s going on and the show extends into the audience.

Do all of your lyrics relate to S&M?

Our lyrics vary with each song. We sing about anti-oppression in all forms. I write about my life, and sometimes we’ll pick something to write about. We’re anti-religion but we do voodoo stuff and relate to some spiritual stuff.

What is the main message you want to get across to audience members?

There’s not much separation between us, and that’s what we want. Right now, our main purpose is to liberate rock ’n’ roll. We’re creating this movement with anyone. We don’t want people to hide who they are to come see a punk band. We’re leading people into this revolution of liberation and acceptance of everyone’s identities. We welcome everybody to our shows.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 3/12/2015 under the headline “S&M band Gash to play tonight”]