Brélan Eytan Moritz, age 29, passed away Saturday, April 18, 2015, in Gainesville, Florida. He was born in Panama City, Florida, in 1985 and attended Lynn Haven Elementary, Mowat Middle School, and Mosley High School where he graduated as the valedictorian and achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. He received his undergraduate degree in Microbiology and Cell Science from the University of Florida in 2008, his master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering from UCLA in 2009, and was a PhD candidate in Microbiology and Cell Science at the University of Florida. The process for the award of a posthumous Doctor of Philosophy degree has been initiated. 

Brélan brought joy, laughter and love to the lives of everyone lucky enough to know him. He was passionate about science and music and leaves behind a legacy of songs and research. Beloved son, brother, brother-in-law, funny Uncle Brélan and nephew, he is mourned by Elan (father); Patti (mother) and her husband Peter; Garrett (brother) and his wife Christine; MacKenzie (brother) and his wife Melissa; Camille, Phoebe, and Alex (nieces and nephew); aunts; uncles; and cousins. He had so many great friends and will be terribly missed. There is a void in our universe.

There will be a memorial service at the Baughman Center on the University of Florida's campus this Thursday, April 23, at 4:00 PM. He will be laid to rest at the Lower Brandywine Cemetery in Wilmington, Delaware, this Sunday, April 26, at 11:00 AM. Funeral arrangements will be handled by Chandler Funeral Home, Wilmington, Delaware.

In lieu of flowers, our family asks that you consider making a contribution to the Brélan Moritz Scholarship Fund being created at the University of Florida to support promising students that bring a passion for music and art to their study of the sciences. You may give online at http://www.uff.ufl.edu/appeals/MoritzScholarship/ or send a check made out to the UF Foundation and mail it to UF/IFAS Development; PO Box 110170; Gainesville, FL 32611. For more information please contact the IFAS Development Office at 352-392-1975 or development@ifas.ufl.edu