It’s easy to forget about that $18 per credit hour that’s funneled to Student Government. But this past year’s executive ticket spent it — almost exactly the way they promised they would in their platform.  

Student Body President Cory Yeffet ran unopposed with the Swamp Party last year, and his platform shared his goals to establish a nighttime transportation program for students and secure Newell Hall as a 24/7 study space. However, student safety became a priority after the four on-campus attacks in Fall.

Other projects, such as solar-powered tables at the Hub and more funding for RecSports, were completed by his treasurer, Elliot Grasso.

“Through all of our completed projects and initiatives, we have significantly enhanced the student experience and made it even greater to be a Florida Gator,” Grasso said.

Yeffet said one of his most challenging projects was launching Uber, a ridesharing service that came to Gainesville in Fall 2014.

A monthlong pilot Uber program was launched April 1 offering student discounts for rides on and near campus. Because it’s a pilot, SG is not paying for Uber to be stationed at UF.

“My hope is we can expand it,” Yeffet said.

SG had to work with the Gainesville City Commission to revise the Transportation Network Company Ordinance to allow Uber to operate in Gainesville.

During Summer, Yeffet partnered with Gainesville and University Police for a taxi-cab stakeout to show that taxi drivers took advantage of students by charging them higher rates.

Four Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol vans, which were paid for by UPD, were also added in Fall. Programs such as Walk Safe and the Blue Light Mobile Safety App were created for student safety in response to the string of attacks around campus last semester.

Walk Safe, a volunteer program where students accompany other students as they walk around campus at night, is now under UPD. Students are paid to walk other students at night from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.

The Safety App, also called TapShield, was created under former Student Body President Christina Bonarrigo and finalized during Yeffet’s term. The app cost $50,000 and uses GPS to alert police of the student’s location, Grasso said. Students can download the app at TapShield.com.

SG also launched the first weeklong Sexual Assault Awareness campaign to educate students about sexual assault and help prevent it. About 2,000 teal ribbons were tied around trees, and activist and rape survivor Angela Rose was brought to speak to students. The ribbons cost $450. Accent Speaker’s Bureau paid Rose $3,700.

Safety was also taken into consideration during the designs for Newell Hall, a condemned building in the heart of campus. In the first few months of his term, Yeffet asked the State Legislature for funding when Gov. Rick Scott signed Florida’s 2014-2015 budget last Summer, which allocated almost $100 million to UF. About $10 million went toward the Newell Hall renovation.

The project was estimated to cost $13 million, according to Alligator archives. Former UF President Bernie Machen donated $5 million for the renovation of the hall in Fall 2014.

Newell is currently undergoing renovations to become a new study space for students. It will include Au Bon Pain, a healthy dining option; a UPD campus substation; and an undergraduate research center, which will pair graduate students with undergraduates to help with research.

Yeffet said taking over Newell Hall was a long process, but in a survey, he found many students have requested more study space.

“The students want tangible change,” he said.

Wednesday will be Yeffet, Grasso and Vice President Vivan Nguyen’s last day in office. Last Friday, the new executive officers were sworn into office. Student Body President Joselin Padron-Rasines, Vice President Kevin Doan and Treasurer Nicholas Carre will officially begin their terms Wednesday.

Yeffet has one piece of advice for the incoming officers: Don’t get caught up in the politics.

“As long as the end goal and the interest of the students is kept, that’s all that matters,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 4/20/2015]