Top 20 International
Top 20 International

Florida came in as the No. 7 state for the number of international students enrolled in college, with UF grabbing the No. 20 spot for universities hosting international students.

Out of the 886,052 international students that came to a U.S. college or university, 36,249 attended a Florida institution, according to the 2013-14 Open Doors study.

The Institute of International Education released the annual Open Doors report that tracks where international students pursue higher education, as well as where U.S. students study abroad.

With an 8-percent growth over the last year, the attendance during the 2013-14 school year of international students nationwide reached a record high, making up 4 percent of the total U.S. population in higher education.

Steve Orlando, senior director of UF media relations, confirmed by email a total of 6,135 international students in attendance during the 2013-14 school year out of the 50,095 student population.

Rohit Kumar, who graduated this past spring with a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, was one of those 6,135.

The 30-year-old said UF’s research with a super-computing center made it his top choice.

Kumar said the International Student Services provided a great support system for international students.

“In general, you go to them with a problem, and it doesn’t matter what it is, they’ll listen and try to help you as best as they can in the best manner possible,” Kumar said.

Debra Anderson, director of the international student services at UF, said UF enrolled roughly the same number of students as the previous year, with only a slight increase.

Anderson said the presence of international students enhances the whole educational process. A large population of UF international students consists of graduate students, with only about 360 undergraduates enrolled during the 2013-14 school year.

“They bring a wealth of cultural diversity,” Anderson said.

She said international students broaden the world view and enhance UF’s international goal.