UF is now home to the president-elect of the American Society of Biomechanics.

Chris Hass, a UF associate professor in the Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, was recently elected by members of the society.

The primary function of president-elect will be to identify future locations of local and national conferences, Hass said. He said the society does a good job of reaching out and is a leader in the development of future scientists.

Winning a presidential election in the society is a three-year commitment and completely voluntary.

“Running for president represents a love for the society,” said Richard Hughes, a past-president of the American Society of Biomechanics.  

Hass has been a member of the society since 1998 and will officially be named president-elect in August. He will serve as president the following year and past-president the year after that.

“I’m very happy the society elected Chris,” Hughes said. “He’ll do a wonderful job.”

Biomechanics is a word that is broadly used to describe a science that studies movement in living things ranging from cells inside of bugs to how the brain communicates with limbs inside humans, Hass said. 

Hass said his research focuses on Parkinson’s disease is studying how areas of the brain communicate to each other while patients are walking.