Build-your-own pasta dish restaurant comes to Midtown

<p>A paper sign hangs in the window of Fork and Pasta at 1802 W University Ave. on Wednesday.</p>

A paper sign hangs in the window of Fork and Pasta at 1802 W University Ave. on Wednesday.

The fast-casual dining trend inspired Netta Kaiden to open a build-your-own pasta restaurant across the street from UF in Midtown.

Fork and Pasta will open its doors June 15 and will have its grand opening June 20. The restaurant will be located at Roberts’ Stadium Club in the former location of sushi restaurant How Do You Roll? at 1802 W. University Ave.

During its opening week, customers will receive a free sangria or cappuccino with their meal, said Kaiden, co-owner of Fork and Pasta.

Diners can choose their dish by type of pasta, sauce and add-ons, including fettuccine, macaroni, ravioli, pesto and tomato sauce. A pasta dish can be topped with bacon or bite-size meatballs as extras. There will also be whole wheat and gluten-free pasta options.

Depending on the mixture of pasta, sauce and extras, a dish will cost between $7.50 and $13.

Rachael duBois, a 30-year-old GatorWell employee and UF sociology student, is a regular at Chipotle, but said she’s interested in trying Fork and Pasta.

“Being able to build your own is always a good idea,” duBois said. “You don’t feel guilty for asking for specific things that you like.”

Fork and Pasta will make pasta daily, Kaiden said, and will try its best to integrate local herbs and spices. People will also have the option to buy pasta by weight to take home.  

For the summer, the restaurant is open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. On Fridays it will be open 9 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Saturdays it is open 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. On Sundays, the hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Hours will be extended in the Fall semester.