<p dir="ltr" align="justify">Tight end Jake McGee stands on the sideline during Spring practice on April 6 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.</p>

Tight end Jake McGee stands on the sideline during Spring practice on April 6 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.

Jake McGee’s first season with the Gators ended before it could even start.

Instead of bolstering UF’s passing game as a viable threat up the middle, the senior tight end and Virginia transfer found himself on the sidelines with a broken leg less than 30 minutes into the season, wondering if his football career had come to an end.

But with a sixth year of eligibility and a sense of responsibility, McGee’s sole focus is getting back on the field and proving he can handle anything thrown his way.

"I’m very confident in my abilities and what I can bring to the table," McGee said.

"I expect them to put a lot on my shoulders as the season goes and I’m ready to embrace it."

For the last two years, the tight end position has been virtually non-existent in Florida’s passing game.

Following the departure of Jordan Reed, a third-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, UF tight ends have accounted for just 30 , 279 yards and three touchdowns.

But Florida first-year head coach Jim McElwain plans to change that.

McElwain is implementing more packages designed to get the tight ends involved in the passing game, providing an extra dimension to the offense.

The playbook calls for a tight end who can block while simultaneously operating as a pass-catching option.

And that starts with McGee.

In his final year at Virginia, the 6-foot-6, 249-pound McGee showed he could come through in clutch situations.

Of his team-leading 43 catches, 26 went for either a first down or a touchdown.

"He’s a guy that’s really been accepted by his teammates," McElwain said.

"You could tell just the year he was here and what he went through and having him back is huge at that position especially."

And with the position’s depth — highlighted by McGee and up-and-comers DeAndre Goolsby and C’yontai Lewis — McElwain has the pieces to work with.

"We’ve got some guys that are really pushing each other," McElwain said. "…There’s some guys at that position and what that does is allows us some flexibility in some personnel groups."

With one season of eligibility left, McGee knows he needs to make an impression quickly if he wants a chance at a professional career.

And as Florida’s season opener against New Mexico State on Sept. 5 gets closer, he’s focused on just that.

"It really starts with you first to want to be the best player that you can be," McGee said. "It’s your job as a player to go out there with a good mindset each day and want to be great instead of just getting through the practices."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126