UF’s Institute of Hispanic-Latino Culture has been completely student-run for about three months.

After the previous director, Olivia Garcia, gave up the position this summer, followed by a failed director search in June, the organization’s committee closed the search without hiring a new staff member for the position.

But even without a director, the organization, also called La Casita, will hold its open house today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. It is partnering with the Institute of Black Culture to throw a block party, offering food and information about the institute’s resources and services.

Operating without a director isn’t unheard of, said Richard Lainez, a La Casita ambassador of three years.

"It isn’t something out of the norm," the 21-year-old said. "The responsibilities are split between the director, the director’s assistant and the ambassadors."

La Casita’s director serves as a mentor to the students, Lainez said.

While the organization operates without a director, other departments in Multicultural and Diversity Affairs are helping La Casita perform the director’s duties, the biology senior said.

The director is responsible for budgeting to allocate money and resources, said Mary Kay Carodine, UF assistant vice president for student affairs.

The La Casita search committee, which includes student ambassadors, UF faculty and community members, is no longer officially searching for a director. But students involved with La Casita are still looking.

These students interviewed a director candidate, Gabe Lara, over Skype Thursday evening at La Casita.

In the meantime, ambassadors have to be more involved, said Yareliz Mendez-Zamora, who was involved as a student ambassador with a previous director search.

"It’s a time for student ambassadors to rise to the occasion," the 21-year-old said.

Follow Brooke Baitinger on Twitter @BaitingerBrooke