<p dir="ltr" align="justify">Middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan swings for a kill during Florida's 3-0 win against Mississippi State on Oct. 26, 2014,&nbsp;in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan swings for a kill during Florida's 3-0 win against Mississippi State on Oct. 26, 2014, in the O'Connell Center.

No one looks more poised to reverse the sophomore slump trend than Rhamat Alhassan.

All the 6-foot-4 middle blocker did in her first year on the court was lead the nation with a .458 hitting percentage, continuing a streak that has seen a UF player do so each of the last three years.

But despite Alhassan’s freshman success last year, she’ll be the first to humbly tell you she didn’t expect it.

"I just kind of came in just wanting to help the team and for us to do good," she said. "So I just did what I felt like I had to do."

And although you can’t tell by watching her play volleyball in the O’Connell Center, Alhassan will also be the first to tell you she’s still learning the game — partly because she only started playing the sport as a sophomore in high school.

"There’s never a day I’m not learning something," Alhassan said.

"Specifically, I think serving is one of those (things I'm learning). Working on your hand contact and tossing, all those things are things I try to play around with and figure out."

In 2014, Alhassan used a basic standing serve — which produced just 11 service aces.

But this year, the Glenarden, Maryland, native said she’ll utilize her height and 38-inch vertical by hitting a jump float serve, which she’s been working on since January.

The jump float serve will allow Alhassan to hit the ball at its highest point, which means opposing players will have less time to react to the ball as it knuckles through the air towards them.

Alhassan seems eager to face the challenge of mastering an aspect of the game that could make her play even more dominant — a scary thought for opponents considering how imposing she was as a freshman.

"It’s definitely a harder serve and a faster serve, so speed and the flow of the serve will make it a little more difficult for opponents," Alhassan said.

While Alhassan works on perfecting all aspects of her game, she knows she wouldn’t nearly be as good as she is without her teammates — most notably senior Simone Antwi, who’s also a middle blocker.

"Simone was a really big role model for me," Alhassan said. "Being the same position and she really coached me the entire year and still does now."

With a wealth of experience at the net, Antwi has helped Alhassan improve her blocking, hitting, technique and form — all of which Antwi said has been easy to teach because of Alhassan’s receptiveness.

"She’s a really quick learner," Antwi said. "So it’s not like we’re talking about the same thing every week. It’s something new every week and I have to keep up with her."

Though Antwi may not be the premier middle blocker that Alhassan is, she has embraced the mentor role with younger players like Alhassan and freshman middle blocker Taelor Kellum.

"It’s really cool because with Rhamat or even Taelor, they’re just so receptive and kind of have this relationship where I not only make them better but they make me better," she said.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12