Gainesville Fire Rescue responded to a fire at UF Keys Residential Complex Saturday.
A residential assistant called GFR around 4:30 p.m. to report the laundry room was in flames, said UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber. Residents were evacuated and no one was injured, he said, and the fire did not spread to any part of the complex.
“It was isolated to the laundry room,” Barber said.
It is unclear how much damages will cost, he said.
The fire was first seen by Keys resident Aamir Rahim.
The UF electrical engineering sophomore had just started a load of laundry. He said he walked out of the laundry room and saw smoke coming out from the dryer vents. He saw the vents were on fire and went to the desk services in the building and said the building was on fire to a worker.
“I was concerned because I’m pretty sure no part of that building should be on fire,” Rahim, 19, said.
Barber said a resident assistant called 9-1-1. While firefighters were on their way, RA’s and police officers evacuated residents to Flavet field, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.
Residents exiting the building could see smoke and flames pouring out from the laundry room.
Keys resident Alexis Vreeland, 20, was evacuated to Flavet field.
“We all saw the smoke covering our windows,” the UF political science and geography junior said.
When the fire was put out and the smoke cleared, firefighters were seen spraying the roof with water. As the water hit the roof, shingles popped off and flew into the air before landing near the building.
Smoke rises from UF Keys Residential Complex after a fire started in the laundry room Sept. 19, 2015. According to UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber, a residential assistant called GFR around 4:30 p.m.