Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Alachua County Police arrested a local man Sunday night after he reportedly fell asleep on the road.

At about 8:15 p.m., Willie L. Gainey, 59, reportedly dozed off in the 1400 block of NW U.S. Highway 441, near a Kangaroo Express and Brown’s Country Buffet, according to a police report.

Daphne Mahn, 41, said she was traveling to her storage locker when she saw a man with his lower body in the road.

His upper body blocked the bike lane and one of his flip-flops laid nearby, she said.

"I wasn’t sure if it was a hit and run or if someone was hurt," she said.

She stopped the car and woke Gainey up by flashing her headlights.

Despite Gainey mumbling and trying to get in the car, Mahn never felt threatened. An officer saw Gainey leaning against the car and later found two Steel Reserve beers nearby, according to the report.

"He was clearly intoxicated and was not able to function quite that far," Mahn said.

Police arrested Gainey on a charge of disorderly intoxication and took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $2,000 bond.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella