Generic Crime
Generic Crime

University Police are investigating the burglary of a New Mexico State University charter bus used by football staff during Saturday’s football game.

Stolen items include laptops, headphones and a small amount of cash, UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber said.

"I think all of us would have gladly traded our suitcases being stolen, because we could have replaced pants and shoes and toiletries, but this one was tough to lose," said Mario Moccia, the athletics director for NMSU, who attended the game. While police presence is high on game days, Barber said the incident seemed to go unnoticed until after the game.

"The officers were inside the stadium — this happened outside the stadium," Barber said.

Barber said the university is collecting reports and following leads in hopes of recovering the stolen items. The worst part, Moccia said, is losing work that took hours to complete. He said a deputy athletics director lost student-athlete files and game contracts, among other documents.

"I know he was beside himself — not for his personal belongings, just the work that will have to be recreated," he said.

Moccia said he believes the driver was gone when it happened. Sara Costa, a dispatcher for Alltour America Transportation, said the company is still investigating what happened on its bus.

"We’re getting a statement from our driver, and until then we can’t make any further comment about that," she said. The burglary came after a 61-13 loss to UF, but Moccia said the team is staying positive.

"Our team had a great experience, except for the ball game," he said. "I think when these things happen, the school unfairly gets the brunt of the criticism, when really it should fall on the criminals."

• • •

During the football game, UPD ejected 17 people and arrested six others. Of the 17 people who were ejected from the stadium, 11 were students, and another four students were arrested, according to a police report.

Intoxication is given as the reason for six ejections, followed by four ejections for disorderly conduct, two for alcohol possession, two for being in the wrong section, two for not having a ticket and one for smoking. Of the six arrests, four were listed as underage possession of alcohol and two as trespassing after a warning.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella